Thursday, April 02, 2009

With a high hope i went to the ward, thought of clerking a female patient who probably having alcoholic liver disease. There i went, right after my lecture.

I walked there alone, as my partner was't coming to ward this evening. I saw there's one girl about my age sitting on the edge of the bed with a middle-aged lady on the bed, which was supposed to be my patient's bed. I began looking for the case file, as to confirm first. Yup. She was assigned to me as my patient. Hence, without wasting much time, I began my interview session. Most of the questions were answered by the daughter of my patient. Certain specific questions had to be translated to Tamil before my patient could answer me. Well, maybe she don't really understand BM well, though living in Malaysia for years...

As I inquested more, I was understood she was electively admitted for oesophaealgastroduodenoscopy (OGDS). Nevermind, I kept asking.What disappointed me the most was, she did not have any signs and symptoms alcoholic liver disease except for jaundice! No vomiting, no nausea, no hematemesis, no epigastric pain, no hypochondrium pain,no changes in urine colour,no melaena, no pruritus and etc... She totally complaint of nothing even for her previous admission but only jaundice! That's all!!! Moreover, she even claimed to just being a rare drinker. Last time was 3-4 years ago. The most she only drank no more than 1 small glass. Then?? How to come to the diagnosis? Why did they perform OGDS on her? She had no complaint of vomiting blood or whatever. In addition, her daughter said during the first scope, there was a few injury sites found and medication was given. Her mother had her second scope done where no more injury was found and medication was stopped. This time was only to check for any injury in the tract again. Nothing else.

My goodness sake, then why do they wrote in the admission book that this patient has alcoholic liver disease? I couldn't find any evidence to support that so far. Nevermind, I keep it within myself after about 20 minutes of asking questions which the answers were always NO. I proceeded with P/E. No positive finding except for scleral jaundice! Haih... Don't know what to say...

Then I met a colleague of mine. I told him my finding as he planned to do P/E on my patient too. Coincidently, an indian doctor was about to perform a femoral catheter on a sepsis patient for hemodialysis. I got interested and stuck there. By the way, the doctor also asked both of us to do abdomen examination on the patient after that. So there I stood watching and listening and memorizing what the doctor explaining.

In and out the needle poking from the patient's femoral vein... Saline was injected and some blood was taken. It seemed that the doctor was not satistied with the flow of blood in the right thigh. Hence, she changed to another side. By this time, I began to feel giddiness. I had told my colleague that I felt GELI already. But now, it had worsen. I could not stand it no more. I walked off. I could see my vision blurring, my visual field was getting smaller interrupted by shadows. My colleague had asked me to sit or offered me to buy me something, but I just couldn't answer him well as I could not listen well to what he had said to me. All was blurred. I walked, but in a zig-zag line. I tried best to balance myself. Luckily my colleague insisted on following me even though I had asked him to proceed with the observation. I found a chair to sit after asking for permission from another patient nearby. I even asked her if she had a sweet for me to chew. I might be hypoglycemia, although I'm not hungry. Maybe I was too exhausted. Lack of sleep. I closed my eyes off to shun myself from the world for a moment. I just kept wishing I would not faint, not in the ward! I guessed after 1 minute, I began to feel better. I talked to my colleague. He still offered me to buy me something to eat, or just take some biscuit from patient. I refused. I still want to see the procedure. Besides that, I also felt bad just walked off from the procedure just now. So both of us went to the bed again and continued. LUckily everything was fine. I just kept on sweating. Cold sweats I supposed.

Next, I decided to go back hostel for a rest. But half way on my journey, I only remembered that I had promised my another colleague of mine to bring back his tupperware. So again I went up to 7th floor. Finally, back!

Rushing to bathe, then here i went to night market located about 10 minutes walking distance from my hostel. Bought some fruits and food. Satisfied. Then I moved on with distributing some work to be typed for the appendix of my CRP project, and out of a sudden, my laptop just switch off. I was quite terrified at the moment because I could bare it if my laptop suddenly malfunction! Running here and there to ask other rooms, knowing it was not my laptop problem, but the plugs of all rooms had went wrong. So I went to the guard to ask for help. Fortunately, the problem was solve within less than 5 minutes! Yes~~

What a tiring day. I bathe another time as the weather was quite hot. Next, off the light and I lying like dead meat on my cozy bed....

No comments: