Wednesday, September 16, 2009





















~AnAestheSiOlogy PosTiNg~





What have I learnt so far?





It is a blessing in disguise that my batch has such an opportunity to undergo clinical practice in this Anaesthesiology posting as medical student. It is an exposure which helps to "open my eyes" to this specialty. I learn drugs, forcing me to revise all those first year theoritical subjects that I had already dumped it back to my lecturerS in the first year, as well as second year. Physiology and Pharmacology are important. Mechanism of action, duration of action, contraindication, indication, side effects, route of administration, delivery, metabolism, elimination and etcetra....bla bla bla~~





What so ever, I really enjoyed myself for the whole 2 weeks although it is quite "mental-consuming". Most of the time spent was in the Operation theatre. I observed how the Anaesthetis prepared the sedation, injecting into the patient, followed by rapid sequence induction, then intubation and close monitoring the vital signs of the patient....





The process is throughout the operation. It is not what I was told last time. It was different.





Years ago, I was told that Anaesthetist's job was very "kacang"! After the patient was sedated, he can go read newspaper, play hp games, online, and so on...However, here and now, what I observed was that he must keep an eye on the patient all the time. Especially the vital signs. Blood pressure, temperature, respiratory rate, heart rate, and adequate analgesia (by MAC=minimum alveolar capacity). Although he may sit down and relax, he still has to monitor the patient closely. THe responsibility is there. It was totally contrast to my understanding towards Anaesthetist.





Hey man~~ don't play play k???!!!





"The patient's life is in your hand, ok? Do you get me?"





ONce the patient was sedated pharmacologically, he or she may no longer control his own respiration, which means his respiratory system went into collapse when he was fully sedated. That is the side effect of the drug. Hence, he may no longer feel pain, no sensation, loss of motor function/control, loss of consciousness and even amnesia. It is the Anaesthetist who is controlling and aiding his ventilation by intubation and providing oxygen supply. The patient is in total helplessness!!! wow....











No comments: